Wednesday, 12 December 2018, 03:00:43 am
President directs to create fund to release poor prisoners
G+
November 13, 2018

President Dr. Arif Alvi has directed Governors of all the provinces to set up a fund for payment of less than one hundred thousand fine of those prisoners who have served their sentences, but are languishing in jails due to nonpayment of fines.   

Addressing the Governor's Conference in Islamabad today (Tuesday), he asked the Governors to collect necessary data of such prisoners in order to initiate and complete the process effectively.

The President directed the Governors to take the onus of providing clean drinking water in all prisons.

He further underscored the need for establishing Citizens Police Liaison Committees in all provinces on the patron of Sindh.

The President urged the Governors to take leadership role in their respective provinces to resolve issues of water, population, health and primary, secondary and higher education.

He said that the Governors must take up the 'Clean and Green Pakistan' mission in their provinces in coordination with relevant departments.

President also asked the Governors to keep in close contacts with the Chief Justices of their respective High Courts in order to help judiciary in the provision of expeditious justice to the needy.

He further urged the Governors to identify at least one University in their province for affiliation with Ghulam Ishaq Khan Institute of Engineering Sciences and Technology.

President directed the Governors to provide land for establishing the campuses of National Defence University in all provinces.

President also directed the Governors to ensure that the Offices of all Provincial Ombudsmen work more effectively in order to redress the grievances of the public.

Governor KP Shah Farman informed the Conference that 95% of the process of merger of FATA has already been completed and the work on remaining 5% is expeditiously being completed.

Governor Gilgit-Baltistan Raja Jilal Hussain Maqpoon requested the President for support in establishing a Women University in Gilgit Baltistan to which the President assured his full support.