Government is making all out efforts to resolve power and gas shortages in the country
Billions of rupees are being invested in the energy sector to end load shedding and provide cheap electricity to consumers
The Prime Minister said that government has taken all steps for the construction of Diamer Bhasha Dam. The Federal Cabinet in its meeting in Islamabad under the chairmanship of Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif has approved the Land Acquisition for Diamer-Bhasha Dam and Compensation Rates of Barren Land. Construction of mega Hydel projects would greatly help in fulfilling the energy needs of the country along with mitigating the hazards of floods. He said that government is determined and focused on resolving the energy issues confronted by Pakistan. Our plans include execution of short, medium and long-term projects in this regard. The Prime Minister says transparency must be maintained in the distribution of compensation money to the affected people of Diamer-Bhasha Dam.
“Government starts to Award 32 New Exploration Blocks”
The government has started the process to award thirty two new oil and gas exploration blocks to the exploration companies. According to officials, the ministry of petroleum and natural resources is encouraging investment in the oil and gas exploration. They said that exploration activities have picked up momentum in recent times and some important discoveries are expected in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province in near future. Total of eighty two discoveries of oil and gas have been made over the last three years.
"Hajj Rituals begin in Makah Today"
Hajj rituals have begun in Makkah. Millions of Aazmeen-e-Hajj, including one hundred and sixty thousand Pakistanis, started heading for Mina after Fajar prayers this morning. They will reach Arafaat tomorrow by bus or train where the Hajj sermon be delivered at Masjid-e-Nimra.
"Indian Army entered South Kashmir Districts"
For the first time since 2014, the Army on Friday took up positions in rural areas of four South Kashmir districts of Pulwama, Shopian, Kulgam and Anantnag.
“US, Russia Announce Syria Truce Plan”
The United States and Russia have reached an agreement on a nationwide cease-fire in Syria, starting from Monday. An announcement to this effect was made after a daylong marathon talks between US Secretary of State John Kerry and his Russian counterpart, Sergei Lavrov in Geneva.
“Iran Begins Construction on 2nd Nuclear Power Plant”
Iran has begun construction of its second nuclear power plant with the help of Russia. The project launched Saturday will eventually include two power plants expected to go online in 10 years.
Construction on the second plant is set to begin in 2018. The project will cost around $10 billion and produce 1,057 megawatts of electricity. Iran's sole operational nuclear reactor produces 1,000 megawatts and went online in 2011 with Russian help.
News in Brief
- The 68th death anniversary of the Father of Nation Quaid-e-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah will be observed with due solemnity and reverence tomorrow.
- Eight Special trains by Pakistan Railways on the occasion of Eid-ul-Azha are being run from today. Special discount of twenty five percent in fares has also been announced for first two days of Eid.
- National Accountability Court in Karachi today sending the Additional Director Karachi Development Authority Nasir Shaikh in corruption case to jail on judicial remand till 27th of this month has ordered NAB to file reference against.
- Polling is in progress for by-election of Gilgit-Baltistan Legislative Assembly in 6 Hunza Nagar-III.
- Azadi Train reached Kott-Addu from Dera-Ghazi-Khan today.
- Sindh government is implementing fifty schemes costing over four billion rupees to promote culture, Tourism and preserve archeological sites.
- In Bangladesh, fifteen people have been killed and seventy injured in a huge fire triggered by a boiler explosion at a packaging factory in the town of Tongi.
- France and Germany are preparing joint strategy to evolve a more active and more useful European defence policy.
Special Azadi Train Report: Muhammad Waqas (Correspondent)
Refugees are being demonised across Europe
Host: Mazhar Iqbal
Co-Host: Ahmad Latif